Thursday, January 26, 2012

Thrice: Beggars

Okay First off, this ones kinda long, so I apologize for that.

So hands down,
and I mean HANDS DOWN
Thrice is probably my favorite band, it's tied up there with Emarosa.
For many reasons, their music is just straight up amazing, and they are amazing musicians. The singer Dustin Kensrue reads a lot which makes everything, lyrically, really well put together, and there are tons of CS Lewis & Bible references which is always a plus in my book. CS Lewis is pretty mindblowing so songs that talk about his stuff are pretty neat in my opinion
on top of that they are really good live so more bonus'

However there is seriously absolutely no way I could put up just a few songs by Thrice and call it good.
So you'll have to bear
(or is it bare? pretty sure its bear, anyways)
with me because I'm gonna do it by albums. I figure thats the only way to do it so I dont have a million videos on one page, and it will give you time to actually appreciate the music.

So lets get this bih started!

First on the list: Beggars.  No particular ordering keep that in mind, I just chose to talk about Beggars first.
So I'm not sure what it is about this album, but when I listen to it it just puts me in a very relaxed mood. It has a sort of jazzy feel to it maybe? Well I wouldn't say jazzy but its pretty chill. And yet at the same time its got an interesting (for lack of a better word) upbeat side to it.

For example they have songs like "Wood & Wire" which is one of the chill ones in my opinion,
and then you have "All The World Is Mad", which has a very Muse-ish feel to it, with things like a very predominant bass line with a distortion on it along with the guitars and harmonies that once again make me think of Muse songs.
And on top of all that they have a few songs that sound almost bluesish or maybe jazzy? (The Weight & Beggars)

Anyways I could sit here going on and on.....and on some more after that about how much I love this band, and how great I think they are, but I'll just let the music do the talking for me. I personally feel like this entire album is something you should listen to, but I've narrowed it down to 3 or 4 that in my opinion are pretty great that you should have a listen to.

First off "Doublespeak" This song is one of my favorites. Everything about it, construction, melody, lyrics, various instruments, its all good. There's something about the verse's that is super chill, but at the same time has some swag to it if that makes any sense. Anyways, have a listen its good.




Secondly "Beggars" The album was named after this song so its safe to assume its pretty good. Once again something about how chill this song is and yet the style behind it is what makes it amazing to me. This is one of the ones I said had a chill kind of jazzish side to it fyi. Also sorry its one of those lyrics videos, I hate those, but its the best I could find.




Third "All The World Is Mad" This is one of the upbeat ones. As I said it seems like its got a Muse-ish feel to it right? I love the crunchy bassline in this song too


Last is "The Weight" An all around good song. Enjoy!



So thats Beggars! once again I think that you should get this whole album, its freakin great, but if you dont I guess I'm alright with that. And if you decide "Hey, I like Thrice lets hear more" don't worry, because there's like....Four more albums I'm going to talk about! But I'll space it out over a while.

And if you don't like it....well then that kinda sucks for you I guess? Sorry and I hope I put up something you do like.

As always, everything I say on here is my opinion, nothing more. Acceptance of it as my own personal opinion is all I ask for, and if you want to disagree you can go right ahead, but my opinions will stay my opinions.

Especially when it comes to Thrice.

Much love,
Jes.




No comments:

Post a Comment